Are you taking advantage of all of the discounts available on your car insurance?
You may want to call your agent to review what discounts are offered by your car insurance company. Not all discounts are offered by every company, but here are a list of common ones:
- Multi-car discount - up to 15% discount for more than 1 car on a policy
- Paid-in-full discount - if you can pay your annual premium in full
- Home ownership discount - if you own your own home
- Multi-Policy discount - combining your car and homeowners insurance with the same company
- Good Student discount - young drivers listed on policy with a "B" or better average in school
- Driver Training discount - new drivers who have 6 hours of "Behind the Wheel" training
- Student Away at School discount - drivers who are students away at school over 100 miles away
- Loss-Free Discount - No claims over a 3 (sometimes 5) year period
- Good Payer discount - If you always pay your premium on time
- Electronic Funds Transfer discount - paying your premium with automatic withdrawals
These are some of the most common discounts, but your company may offer other discounts. For example, some companies are offering "usage-based discounts", where you place a device or enable a smart-phone app which monitors your driving habits. Companies do not penalize you for regularly speeding or excessive hard-stopping, but a driver with good driving habits can be rewarded with car insurance discounts.
Unless you ask your agent, you may not know if you are getting all of the discounts available to you!