TOP TEN FACTS ABOUT FLOOD INSURANCE:
1. Everyone lives in a flood zone. You do not need to live near water to be flooded! Over 20% of all flood claims to the National Flood Insurance Program come from properties outside of high-risk flood areas!
2. Flood damage is NOT covered by Homeowners Insurance.
3. You can buy flood insurance no matter what your flood risk is. Anyone that lives in a community that participates in the National Flood Insurance Program can buy building and/or contents coverage.
4. The Preferred Risk Policy may be purchased for homes and businesses in moderate to low risk areas of being flooded.
5. Flood insurance is affordable. Policies are available to homeowners, condo owners, apartment owners, renters and business owners.
6. Flood insurance is easy to get through a licensed property insurance agent. Call yours today!
7. Contents coverage is available to homeowners, business owners and tenants. Up to $100,000 for homeowners and renters!
8. Up to $1,000,000 in flood insurance is available for non-residential buildings and contents (up to $500,000 for non-residential buildings and $500,000 for contents in non-residential buildings.)
9. The is usually a 30 day waiting period before coverage goes into effect (the exception being for properties requiring coverage to close a loan-backed purchase).
10. Federal disaster assistance is NOT a good alternative to flood insurance!